IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Newborn found after pregnant woman vanishes

A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found in a basket on a doorstep 45 miles from where a pregnant woman vanished. A DNA sample was taken Tuesday from the infant and given to authorities investigating the disappearance, authorities said.
/ Source: The Associated Press

A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found in a basket on a doorstep 45 miles from where a pregnant woman vanished, authorities said Tuesday.

A DNA sample was taken from the infant Tuesday and was given to authorities investigating the disappearance.

Thomas Maurer, sheriff in neighboring Wayne County, said the baby was less than 24 hours old, and that officials are using "every caution we can" to eliminate the possibility that the baby is related to the missing woman, Jessie Davis.

Davis, 26, who is due July 3 with a baby she planned to name Chloe, has not been heard from since Wednesday evening when she spoke to her mother by phone.

A couple arriving home from dinner Monday night discovered the newborn on the porch of their rural home south of Wooster, Maurer said. The baby was dressed in a sleeper. The wicker basket contained a blanket and a bottle of formula, but there was no note, he said.

The baby was taken to Wooster Community Hospital, where DNA from the girl was taken using a mouth swab, said Maurer, who drove the sample to investigators in Stark County on Tuesday.

Toddler: ‘Mommy’s in the rug’
Davis was reported missing on Friday when her mother, Patricia Porter, went to Davis' house in nearby North Canton to check on her and found her grandson, 2-year-old Blake Davis, alone, wearing a dirty diaper in a home with furniture askew. A pool of bleach was on the bedroom floor, and the contents of Davis' purse were scattered in the kitchen. Her cell phone and a comforter were missing.

Blake told investigators: "Mommy was crying. Mommy broke the table. Mommy's in the rug."

The father of Davis' son and unborn girl is Canton police patrolman Bobby Cutts Jr. He is estranged from his wife, with whom he has at least one other child. Authorities searched his northeast Ohio home over the weekend and again Monday night. Officials say they have no suspects in the disappearance.

A fellow officer said Tuesday that Canton patrolman Bobby Cutts Jr. had an amicable relationship with her. Cutts has refused to talk about the case with reporters and is now on leave from his job.

Cutts shared the parenting duties for their 2-year-old son with Davis, said John Miller, president of the Canton patrolman's union. Cutts, also the father of Davis' unborn daughter, juggled parenthood with the demands of his patrol job on the midnight shift, Miller said.

"He's a good officer. He's got no problems at work. He treats people well," Miller said.

Incident with former girlfriend
In 1998, he was sentenced to three years probation for disorderly conduct after a former girlfriend accused him of breaking a door jamb and forcing his way into their home, causing her to fear for her safety, according to a police report from nearby Jackson Township.

About two years after his conviction in the disorderly conduct case, Cutts was hired by the Canton Police Department.

His personnel file also shows he won an appeal to overturn his firing in 2003 when authorities conducting a drug raid on his cousin's home found Cutts' handgun hidden under a mattress. Canton police officials accused Cutts of giving the gun to his cousin for protection and said Cutts was lying when he reported that the gun had been stolen.

A federal arbitrator ordered the city to reinstate the officer, saying Canton police had not proven the allegation.

Davis' family has declined to talk about her relationship with Cutts. Her father, Ned, held back tears Tuesday in an interview, saying he's trying to block out all emotion and focus on his daughter's safe return.

"I'm a dad that wants his daughter back," he said.

Miller accused the Stark County Sheriff's Office of waiting too long to retrieve Davis' cell phone records. The sheriff's department has not discussed whether any clues have been found in cell phone records.