/ Source: The Associated Press
Some major bridge and highway collapses:
- Tuesday: A highway overpass under construction in Oroville, Calif., collapses, crushing a delivery truck and seriously injuring a construction worker who fell 50 feet.
- April: A section of freeway that funnels traffic off the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge collapses after a gasoline tanker truck overturns and erupts into flames. Only the truck driver is injured.
- September, 2006: a bridge collapse in Quebec, Canada, kills five people.
- November 2005: A section of a highway bridge under construction in southern Spain collapses, killing six people.
- May 2003: A tractor-trailer slams into a bridge support on Interstate 80 in western Nebraska, sending the bridge crashing down onto the truck and killing the driver.
- May 2002: A 500-foot section of a bridge spanning the Arkansas River in Webbers Falls, Okla., collapses and kills 14 people after a barge hits it.
- July, Aug. 2002: Two bridges in Central China collapse, killing a combined 19 people.
- Sept. 2001: The Queen Isabella Causeway in Texas collapses after a tow boat captain loses control of a string of barges and currents drive them into a bridge support. Eight people die when their vehicles plummet 85 feet into the channel.
- March 2001: A bridge collapse in Lisbon, Portugal, causes a tour bus to plunge into a river, killing more than 50 people.
- June 1998: A train traveling from Munich to Hamburg derails in Hanover, Germany, leading to the deaths of 101 people. Sections of the train flip off the tracks, causing the overpass to collapse.
- April 5, 1987: A bridge on the New York State Thruway near Amsterdam, N.Y., gives way, killing 10 people.
- May 9, 1980: The Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa Bay collapses, killing 35 people. A ship hit the bridge during a storm, sending vehicles plummeting into the water.