GLOUCESTER, Mass. -- Two dogs found a stash of meatballs laced with rat poison in the backyard of their Gloucester home.
The dogs, named Picton and Prim, were playing in the backyard. The dog's owner noticed something in one of their mouths.
"I told him to drop it, and it was a meatball… it was raw packed meat," Kim Herrick, dogs poisoned, said. "I split it open and I saw the green pellets inside."
The dogs were immediately given medication to induce vomiting.
"You only have so much time before the poison goes into the bloodstream and attacks the liver," Jamie Levie, Animal Control Officer, said.
The dogs will undergo further testing to ensure that no permanent damage has been done.
(Copyright (c) 2007 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)