IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Two still missing in N.M. copter crash

/ Source: The Associated Press

The helicopter had just swooped in to rescue a stranded hiker in the rough mountains of New Mexico when nearby campers saw a flash of light, then heard a loud crash. Moments later, a dispatcher asked the pilot whether the three aboard were OK, and he radioed back: "Not really."

The sleek police copter, designed for just such high-altitude rescue missions, had smashed into the mountain, and the veteran pilot, his spotter and the hiker were thrown into the dark, frigid wilderness.

The spotter's right leg was crushed, his back injured. Soon, hypothermia set in. He hunkered down for the night inside the downed chopper with his pilot, Sgt. Andrew Tingwall, within earshot. Through the night, Tingwall and the spotter, Wesley Cox, alternately called out to each other.

When daybreak came Wednesday, Cox, badly injured and uncertain where Tingwall was, decided he needed to hike out for help, broken bones and all. He walked several miles before finding help and rushed to a hospital with severe hypothermia.

'We do not have any more survivors'
Details of the harrowing ordeal emerged Wednesday as authorities found the helicopter wreckage, but had not yet found the pilot and the hiker.

The helicopter had been summoned to help the hiker after she became separated from her boyfriend on the mountain.

Officials feared that Tingwall and the stranded hiker, Negumi Yamamoto, didn't survive.

"At this point, information would indicate that we do not have any more survivors," State Police Chief Faron Segotta said.

He said information about the crash and details of the frightening night on the mountain came from Cox, 29, who remained hospitalized with a back injury, possibly a fracture, and a "seriously crushed" right leg, according to the chief. He also said Cox has some internal bleeding.

"He is one tough kid," Segotta said.

Tingwall, of Santa Fe, had radioed in his last radio transmission Tuesday night that he had hit the mountain.

Segotta said three campers near Lake Stewart saw the helicopter take off and fly around the north side of the mountain, then heard its rotors rev to a high pitch. They then saw a flash of light and heard the crash, he said.

A National Guard aerial crew was among those trying to locate the crash site. Searchers had been hampered by snow and poor visibility near the area, which is about 15 miles northeast of Santa Fe.

The helicopter was believed to be eight or nine miles from the start of the trail and its emergency beacon signal was still emitting, state Department of Public Safety spokesman Peter Olson said.

'Our pilots are trained for survival'
Segotta said the helicopter carried food, water and an emergency blanket and that Tingwall was prepared. "Our pilots are trained for survival," he said.

The helicopter may have crashed into the mountainside after the tail rotor hit something and subsequently failed to gain enough altitude to negotiate a safe landing, he said.

Cox was thrown from the copter, then returned to it, Segotta said. He checked the vital signs of Yamamoto, but concluded that had she perished in the crash, the chief said.

The fact that the Tingwall and Cox called out to each other through the night was encouraging news that indicates there's a slim chance the pilot could still be alive, Segotta said.

The helicopter is specially equipped for high altitude search and rescue missions, including landing and taking off at up to 15,000 feet and flying up to 20,000 feet, said state Public Safety Secretary John Denko. It was purchased in 2003.

Prior to the doomed rescue attempt, Yamamoto had been with her boyfriend on the mountain but they became separated, Olson said, and she used her cell phone to call for help Tuesday evening.

The boyfriend, whose name was not released, was escorted out with search-and-rescue crew; he had stayed overnight at a campsite. Police said Yamamoto is from Tokyo, and a student at the University of New Mexico.

'Very rugged train'
Olson, who has hiked Santa Fe Baldy, said the trip to the top is arduous and said the area where the helicopter was believed to be was in "very rugged terrain."

Tingwall is a 13-year veteran of the force. He was honored with the Officer of the Year award for his efforts during an August 2008 incident in Albuquerque in which he helped save a man from a flooded arroyo.

In that incident, Tingwall and other officers were having dinner after their aircraft was grounded due to hazardous weather conditions. They overheard an emergency dispatch about the man being caught in the nearby arroyo and responded. Tingwall spotted the man, rappelled down a step concrete wall and pulled the man from the water.