IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

93 now feared dead in Tonga ferry capsizing

Ninety-three passengers are still missing and feared dead Saturday after their ferry flipped and sank off Tonga, with only two bodies recovered more than two days after the disaster.
Image: Tonga ferry
An injured survivor from a ferry siking arrives at Pangai on Tonga's Lifuka Island on Thursday.Emily Penn / AP
/ Source: The Associated Press

Police say the number of people missing and feared dead after a ferry capsized and sank off Tonga has risen to 93 — eight more than previously thought.

Police Chief Inspector Sokopeti To'ia told The Associated Press on Sunday that the latest count of those aboard the ill-fated ferry was 149, up from an earlier count of 141. Of those, 54 were rescued and two bodies recovered, leaving 93 missing. The confirmed dead were a British man living in New Zealand and a Polynesian woman.

To'ia says Navy divers from Australia and New Zealand arrived Saturday to help comb the wreck for bodies, but were unable to locate the vessel in their first attempt.

The chances of finding any of the missing alive "are not great," Police Commander Chris Kelly said Friday.

The cause of the disaster was not known. Survivors described the ferry rocking violently from side to side and waves breaking the lower deck before it went under, though officials said weather conditions were mild.

Recent inspectionState-owned Shipping Corp. of Polynesia said the ferry was licensed to carry 200 passengers plus crew, suggesting it was not overcrowded.

Tongan Transport Minister Paul Karalus said the ferry was recently inspected, and there was "no question about its seaworthiness." Veteran democracy campaigner 'Akilisi Pohiva has claimed the ferry was unsafe and should not have been operating.

Many of those missing were women and children who had been given cabins below deck and may have been trapped inside when the ferry sank about 55 miles (85 kilometers) northeast of Nuku'alofa, officials say.

Most of the male passengers remained on the upper decks during the journey, and the survivors so far were all men.

Two days of searching by sea and air has found no sign of survivors since a few hours after the ferry capsized. Authorities suspended the search at nightfall Friday and were not sure they would resume it.

"We live in hope, and we will be making a decision overnight as to whether the search continues," New Zealand Rescue Coordination Center director John Dickson said Friday on that country's National Radio.

"This is a huge disaster, a huge loss," Tongan Prime Minister Feleti Sevele told reporters in Cairns, Australia, where he was attending a South Pacific leaders' summit.

Relatives in shock
Tonga, an archipelago of 169 islands and 120,000 people in the South Pacific about two-thirds of the way from Hawaii to New Zealand, is regularly buffeted by destructive cyclones and lies near an earthquake fault-line.

But few natural disasters have caused many deaths, and the ferry sinking has hit hard.

Dozens of relatives and their supporters gathered on Friday outside the office of ferry company, hoping for good news, many of them weeping and hugging of each other for support.

"Everyone is absolutely shell-shocked. No one has been untouched by this," Tonga's Chief Justice Tony Ford told New Zealand's Stuff news Web site. "My driver lost his neighbor, his neighbor's wife and their daughter, a woman from the court has lost two of her sisters. Everyone has been affected."

More on: