IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Worker receives minor injuries in fire

Smoke filled with hazardous chemicals sent one person to the hospital in west Wichita Thursday.
/ Source: KSNW-TV

Smoke filled with hazardous chemicals sent one person to the hospital in west Wichita Thursday.

It was all due to a fire next to the old Riverside Hospital, which is now owned by Via Christi on west Central.

A Worker doing some soldering on a refrigerator in an out building to the old Riverside Hospital sparked a fire.

"When crews got here they found heavy smoke coming from the building," said Battalion Chief Ernie Schuler. "They made entry and were able to put out the fire, but reported some hazardous materials inside."

Those materials were mineral oil and Freon used as coolant in refrigerators. That's what caused most of the concern.

"If you come in contact with it, it can cause burns or frost bite," Schuler said.

Four West River Plaza workers who came to help out before firefighters arrived were exposed to the toxic smoke. All of them refused treatment. The worker doing the soldering work though was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

As a precaution, firefighters were decontaminated. In all, crews stayed on scene for about three hours to make sure the chemicals were in check.


See story video at KSN.com