IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Feds: Texas bomb suspect angry at government

A man accused of putting more than 30 explosive devices in mailboxes and other locations across east Texas did so out of anger toward the government, federal authorities say.
Larry Gene North
Larry Gene North, 52, of Henerson, Texas, is shown in this booking photo released by the Smith County sheriff in Tyler, Texas, on Thursday. AP
/ Source: The Associated Press

A man accused of dropping more than 30 explosive devices into mailboxes and other locations across east Texas did so out of anger toward the government and was acting alone, federal authorities said Thursday.

Larry Eugene North was indicted Wednesday on charges of possessing an illegal firearm or destructive device. He could face 10 years in prison if convicted.

Authorities believe North is responsible for planting 36 devices between Feb. 5 and Wednesday, said Robert R. Champion, an agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Authorities previously said they had found at least 16 explosive devices, including five pipe bombs.

"These devices, over 30 in number, have caused fear in this community nothing short of domestic terrorism," prosecutor Brit Featherston said. "Today that fear stops."

Under suveillance
North had been under surveillance for about a week before he was arrested Wednesday while placing an explosive in a Tyler mailbox, authorities said. A pipe bomb was found in the van he was driving and bomb-making materials were discovered in his home, they said.

No injuries or explosions resulted from the devices. At least half were found in mailboxes, while others were in assorted locations such as the front yard of a business and a cemetery, officials said. The spate of discoveries kept people on edge for weeks in east Texas, a region recently hit by a series of church arsons.

North, 52, of Henderson, remained jailed after a brief hearing Thursday in federal court during which a judge granted court-appointed defense attorney Ken Hawk's request for a mental competency exam.

North didn't address U.S. Magistrate Judge John Love during the hearing. Hawk declined to discuss specifics of the case with reporters, and North's relatives wouldn't comment.

Champion said North's apparent anger with the government stems from a court dispute, but he didn't have any details.

"We know he did not particularly care for the U.S. government," Champion said.

First device found during arson spree
The indictment accuses North of possessing a pipe bomb on or about March 23 — the same day one was found in a mailbox near a woman's home in the small community of Laird Hill, about 115 miles east of Dallas.

Authorities said they would evaluate whether to pursue more charges.

The first incendiary device was discovered Feb. 5 while authorities were investigating a monthlong spree of church arsons that ended with a pair of arrests about two weeks later, officials said.

Champion said authorities soon ruled out a connection between the church fires and the incendiary devices. Two men are jailed in Tyler on $10 million bond apiece, facing an arson charge and suspected of intentionally setting nine other church fires.

The first reports of incendiary devices in mailboxes involved bottles containing flammable liquids and wicks, authorities said. Devices resembling pipe bombs then started turning up, which raised the sense of danger felt by 27-year-old Longview resident Robert Ziemba. One pipe bomb was found in a mailbox on a busy street in Longview.

"With pipe bombs, you never know," Ziemba said. "It could be in your backyard. It could be in your neighbor's backyard. You don't know where it's going to be."

Of the 36 devices planted, the final 10 were pipe bombs, Champion said. He didn't know why there was an escalation. The pipe bombs found Wednesday had a fuse but no timer.

"The ones yesterday we felt were ready to go at any time," Champion said.