NBC News' "Today" continues as the dominant morning news program topping competition across the board. Last week's win marks "Today's" 747th consecutive week in first place. Below are the highlights for the week ending March 19.
- TODAY averaged 5.039 million total viewers, a +19% (+806,000) advantage over GMA's 4.233 million and +102% (+2,550,000) over Early Show's 2.489.
- TODAY has now won 747 consecutive weeks in both homes and total viewers.
- In rating A25-54, TODAY had a 1.9 and led GMA's 1.3 by +46% (+6 tenths) and Early Show's0.8 by +138% (+1.1 ratings points).
- In rating A18-49, TODAY outperformed GMA by +56% (+5 tenths) and Early Show by +180% (+9 tenths).
- Versus the prior week, TODAY widened its lead over GMA in rating M25-54.
- TODAY also widened its advantages over GMA versus the same week last season in rating W/M/A18-49 and rating W/M/A25-54.
- Season-to-date, TODAY is the only morning news program to grow its audience year-to-year (up +12,000 total viewers and +4% in rating W25-54) and tops second-place GMA by +29% (+1,260,000) in total viewers and +40% (+738,000) in A25-54 (000).
- TODAY has widened its advantages over both GMA and Early Show this season in homes, total viewers, rating W/A18-49, and rating W/A25-54 compared to the same period last season.
TODAY II (9 a.m. hour) & TODAY III (10 a.m. hour) Highlights:
- TODAY II topped CBS Early Show in homes (+26%), total viewers (+27% or +673,000), rating W/M/A18-49 (+43%/+25%/+40%) and rating W/M/A25-54 (+30%/+17%/+25%).
- TODAY II beat The View in homes (+9%), total viewers (+13%, or +360,000), rating M/A18-49 (+67%/+17%) and rating W/M/A25-54 (+8%/+75%/+25%).
- TODAY II grew week-to-week in total viewers (+9,000 viewers) and rating M/A25-54 (+17%/+11%).
- Season-to-date, TODAY II is up in homes (+4%), total viewers (+4% or +142,000), rating M/A18-49 (+20%/+13%), and rating W25-54 (+7%).
- TODAY III averaged 1.891 million total viewers and a 0.6 A25-54 rating.
- Week-to-week, TODAY III posted increased in total viewers (+2%, or +45,000), rating M/A18-49 (+50%/+25%), and rating M25-54 (+33%).
- TODAY III grew +33% in rating M25-54 versus the same week last season.
- Season-to-date, TODAY III is up in homes (+7%) and total viewers (+7%, or +140,000) while also increasing +2% in A25-54 (000).
On its digital platforms, "Today" continued its strong performance with more than 7.8 million online streams. TODAYshow.com's stories, blog, message boards and live votes were also popular with users.
Jim Bell is the executive producer of "Today" (Monday - Friday, 7-11 a.m.).