One of the most fulfilling parts of travel is telling people about what you found. And that’s what we’d like you to do. Our True Stories section is for your finds.
Maybe it's a great hotel, or a terrific restaurant, or a quirky shop. Maybe it’s just a good story, a funny anecdote the likes of which only seem to happen when you travel. Maybe it’s a photograph. Maybe it’s a poem, although I kind of hope not.
A few things to remember:
- If your response is the best we receive between before May 15, 2005, you’ll win a 15-day First Class Eurail Flexipass for one from Railpass.com. The prize includes train travel within Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. Valid for any 15 days within a two-month period, from the first time you use the pass. Residents of Europe, the Russian Federation, Turkey, Morocco, Algeria, or Tunisia are not eligible. Must be validated within six months of issue; can't be replaced if lost or stolen. A complete list of restrictions and bonuses is included. Subject to availability, nontransferable, nonnegotiable. By entering this contest, all entries agree that sponsors have the sole right to decide all disputes arising from the contest and their determination of the winner is final. Winners must be at least 21 years of age; all travel is based upon availability; trips are nontransferable and not redeemable for cash; all decisions are final. For more info on Railpass: 800/722-7151, railpass.com.
- Tip: The majority of submissions we print have photos, so send us the best pics you've got.
- Write it like you were telling it at a party. That is, keep it brief and lively (250 words max). We regret that we won’t be able to include everything we receive, and we reserve the right to edit for length and clarity. And once you send it in to us, it becomes our property.
- Include a phone number for any establishment you mention. If we can’t verify the place exists, we won’t be able to print your story. Besides, imagine how frustrating it would be if we raved about something and never told you how to reach it.
- If you, your relative, or a friend of yours owns said establishment, you should seriously consider running an ad instead. And if you or a relative of yours works here at BT, don’t even think about it.
- Send photos, but try not to go crazy. Edit them down so we only get the good ones. If you’re sending digital pictures, shoot them at 300 dpi at 3” by 5”, and send them as a JPEG, TIFF, or EPS file. If you’re sending prints or slides, don’t send originals; we will not be returning them.
- We don’t mind if you or your companions are in the shots, as long as you tell us who (and what) is in the photo so we can write a nice caption. And we need to be able to get in touch with you, if need be, so include your daytime phone number.
Unfortunately, we won't be able to pay you. For the May issue, however, the reader who sends in the best combination of story and photograph, as determined by us, will win the 15-day First Class Eurail Flexipass as described above.
You don’t need to have gobs of money to travel well—you just need to have the right knowledge. Together, we’ll be the smartest travelers out there.
WHERE TO SEND IT
Mail: True Stories,
Arthur Frommer’s Budget Travel,
530 Seventh Ave.,
New York, NY 10018.