SOUTH MILWAUKEE, Wis., Oct. 29, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bucyrus International, Inc. (Nasdaq:BUCY), a world leader in the design and manufacture of mining equipment, announced today that the organization has received external assurance, conducted by ISOS Group, LLC () for their inaugural Sustainability Report, released on July 7, 2010, and has achieved a B+ rating in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative's Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The Global Reporting Initiative guidelines set a global framework for reporting the economic, environmental and social dimensions of an organization's activities, products and services ( www.globalreporting.org ).
Bucyrus has committed to reporting sustainable development performance in a clear and transparent manner while incorporating sustainability into day-to-day operations. "This is not a short-term project, but a long-term focus on doing what is right for our organization, our stakeholders and our world. We are committed to embracing sustainability to guide the way we design and manufacture our machines as well as placing sustainability at the forefront of our business and our interactions with our communities, suppliers, customers, and employees," said President and CEO Tim Sullivan.
Bucyrus' sustainability vision is to have a positive, lasting effect on our world through supporting the communities in which we live and operate, improving environmental and safety performance, and creating long-term, sustainable economic growth. Some highlights from Bucyrus' inaugural report include:
- Bucyrus Chile was recognized by the Chilean National Safety Council for excellent safety performance for the Company as a whole and as a provider of mining machine and repair contract services.
- Bucyrus' LatchFree Dipper System has fewer moving parts, which translates directly into greater safety.
- Bucyrus China sponsors students, provides scholarships and recognizes excellent postgraduates and teachers at the China University of Mining Technology.
- Bucyrus Brazil sponsors Projeto Minas Meio Ambiente, a project that promotes environmental education for the defense of the remnants of Brazil's Atlantic Forest and promotes the conservation of biodiversity and water resources.
- Bucyrus supports the growth of clean coal technology through board memberships on the industry's premier associations as well as direct financial contributions to fund research.
As a premier equipment supplier to the mining industry, Bucyrus is committed to being a dependable partner to its customers, employees, communities and shareholders. At the core of that commitment is creating safe work environments, and modeling the best behaviors of corporate stewardship that will sustain many generations to come. It is Bucyrus' intention to be an integral leader in creating, sustaining and enhancing a safe and environmentally friendly industry.
External assurance was conducted by ISOS
Bucyrus' complete sustainability report can be found on their company's sustainability website at .
About Bucyrus International, Inc.
Bucyrus is a world leader in the design and manufacture of high productivity mining equipment for the surface and underground mining industries. Bucyrus' surface mining equipment is used for mining coal, copper, iron ore, oil sands and other minerals. Bucyrus' underground mining equipment is used primarily for mining coal and also used in mining minerals such as potash and trona. In addition to machine manufacturing, Bucyrus manufactures high quality OE parts and provides world-class support services for their machines. Bucyrus' corporate headquarters is located in South Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
CONTACT: Bucyrus International, Inc. Shelley Hickman - Director, Global Communications 414.768.4599 firstname.lastname@example.org www.bucyrus.com