IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

The Dickens! This story takes a paw-lever twist

/ Source: The Associated Press

Investigators believe a cat who liked to sleep on top of a toaster oven started a kitchen fire in Port Townsend by depressing the toaster lever.

Lois Lund told The Peninsula Daily News she doesn't hold a grudge against her cat Osiris. Lund said he had been sleeping on top of the oven to avoid a pet dog and probably stepped on the lever.

Lund heard the fire early Sunday and put it out with a garden hose.

Fire investigator Kurt Steinbach said the fire originated in the oven that had been left on.

The cat escaped, and no one was hurt in the fire, though authorities estimated damage at $5,000, and Lund told the Daily News that she expected repairs to cost $20,000.