CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa., Jan. 6, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Each year, the American Sports Builders Association honors a select number of new and renovated U.S. athletics facilities that meet the organization's standards for construction excellence. The list of winners for 2010 included seven venues with flooring surfaces manufactured by Mondo, a global leader in the sports flooring market.
The winning facilities with Mondo surfaces represented elementary schools to universities, and tracks to multipurpose fields. Projects were judged by a panel of ASBA members based on layout and design, site work, drainage, base construction, surface, amenities, innovation and overall impression.
"It's very gratifying that facilities that have installed Mondo fields, tracks and multipurpose surfaces have been recognized for the outstanding quality of their construction projects," said Federico Stroppiana, president of Mondo North and South America. "Throughout our company's six decades, Mondo has engineered flooring that meets the industry's most stringent quality standards and that help our customers build safe, eco-friendly environments."
The venues honored included the following:
- La Merced Elementary School, Belen, N.M.; and Southwest Minnesota State University, Marshall, Minn.; both for upgrade of an existing indoor multipurpose facility. La Merced Elementary School has Mondo's Advance flooring; SMSU also has Advance (multipurpose area) along with Super X Performance (indoor track).
- Ponderosa High School, Shingle Springs, Calif.; for upgrade of an existing outdoor track facility. The school installed Super X Performance.
- Mount Union College, Alliance, Ohio; for upgrade of an existing indoor track facility. The college chose Mondotrack (track) and Super X Performance (multipurpose area).
- Spartanburg High School, Spartanburg, S.C. and University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.; both for upgrade of a sports field facility. Spartanburg has a Mondoturf Fine Tuned System 3 field, and Missouri installed a Mondoturf Ecofill field.
- Albuquerque Public Schools Soccer Complex, Albuquerque, N.M., for new construction of a multi-field facility. The complex incorporates four Mondoturf Ecofill fields.
In each of its award categories, the ASBA also chooses the most outstanding venue as facility of the year. Of the seven facilities with Mondo surfaces, four were chosen as facility of the year in their categories: Southwest Minnesota State University (indoor multipurpose facility), Ponderosa High School (outdoor track), Mount Union College (indoor track) and Albuquerque Public Schools Soccer Complex (sports field, multi-field facility).
About the American Sports Builders Association
Based in Ellicott City, Md., the ASBA is a nonprofit association helping designers, builders, owners, operators and users understand quality sports facility construction. The ASBA sponsors informative meetings, publishes newsletters, books and technical construction guidelines for both tennis courts and running tracks, and keeps its members aware of the latest developments in the industry. It also offers voluntary certification programs in tennis court, running track and sports fields construction.
Mondo is the global leader in the sports and contract flooring markets, manufacturing flooring surfaces for virtually every application. More than 1,100 Mondo tracks and 800 Mondo artificial turf fields are installed worldwide. The official supplier of the athletic track for the past nine Olympic Games and the upcoming 2012 London Olympics, Mondo also is the official supplier or official sponsor of more than 100 sports federations and associations.
The company supplies a wide variety of commercial flooring, and it is the world's largest producer of sports and toy balls with an average daily production of 450,000 units. In addition, it manufactures large luxury yachts under its Mondo Marine division.
A family-owned business since its founding in 1948, Mondo sells its products in more than 196 countries. The company's global headquarters are in Italy, and it has manufacturing facilities in North America, Europe and Asia. More information about Mondo is available at .
The Mondo logo is available at
Mondo and Ecofill are registered trademarks of Mondo.
CONTACT: Gibson Communications, Inc. Editorial Contact: Glynis Gibson 773.278.7700 firstname.lastname@example.org