Detroit police release graphic video of precinct shooting

Brian Davis, Lamar Moore
This image provided by the Detroit Police shows a framegrab from a surveillance video where Cdr. Brian Davis, left, shoots at Lamar Moore Sunday at the city's 6th and 8th precincts in Detroit.AP
/ Source: The Associated Press

A graphic 68-second video released by Detroit police Friday shows a gunman striding into one of the city's precinct stations, spraying volleys from a shotgun at surprised officers before being fatally wounded within inches of three of his victims.

The grainy surveillance video with muted color from Sunday's rampage at the 6th Precinct was made public only after members of the city's police force had seen it, Police Chief Ralph Godbee said.

The video shows Lamar Moore, 38, walking into the precinct and past the building's raised front desk. He pulls a shotgun he had concealed along his left side and opens fire down a hallway, hitting a female sergeant in her bullet-proof vest. He's then seen firing more shots down the hallway as he reverses his steps back into the middle of the lobby.

Two other sergeants were down that hallway returning fire at Moore, Assistant Chief Chester Logan told reporters viewing the recording Friday at Detroit Police Headquarters.

In this undated booking photo released by the Dearborn Police Department, Lamar Deshea Moore is shown. Moore was fatally shot after wounding four officers at a Detroit police station Sunday, Jan. 23, 2011 and had been the subject of a sexual assault investigation before the shooting, a police spokeswoman said Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011. (AP Photo/Dearborn Police Department)Dearborn Police Department

"We believe this is the reason why he backs up," Logan said.

With Cmdr. Brian Davis and a sergeant firing shots in his direction, Moore then lunges head-first onto, then over, the front desk counter toward them and two other already wounded officers.

The most graphic portion of the video shows Moore square off with Davis — above the prone figures of the two wounded officers — as they exchange shots with their weapons about a foot apart.

"At some point in time, the suspect hits Cmdr. Davis in the hand, and he shoots off some of his fingers," Logan said. Davis would lose parts of two fingers.

On the video, Davis falls and drops the gun he had been firing, but twists around a smaller desk as Moore continues toward him. Davis then gets to his feet and hurls a trash can at the gunman.

"That's all he had. He was trying to survive," Logan said of Davis.

Moore, himself wounded, attempts to maneuver toward Davis, but falls to the floor. He later died while being taken to an area hospital, Assistant Chief Chester Logan said.

Four officers were wounded. Davis, the most seriously injured, also was shot in the back. He and Sgt. David Anderson are expected to be released from the hospital soon. The other two officers were released earlier in the week.

"There are some tremendous acts of heroism in this video — to see officers perform in a spectacular way," Godbee said. "It's important to understand what they were trained to do. They are trained first of all to cover, then to conceal, and then engage the target."

Police have not determined a motive for Moore's rampage. The day after, his younger brother was sentenced to up to 60 years in prison for the shooting deaths last year of two men at a Detroit auto repair shop.

Investigators also were looking into allegations that Moore had kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in his northwest side home. He was not charged in the alleged rape.