The Polar Star cruise ship ran aground Monday en route from Antarctica to Argentina.
Early reports from the Sydney Morning Herald indicated that rescue workers from the Argentine Army were evacuating passengers from the ship, but Polar Star Expeditions said that no one has been evacuated.
"It is confirmed that while anchoring (ship moving about one knot) in the region of Detaille, the ship did touch a rock causing a minor breach in the outer hull. All 80 passengers and 35 crew remain onboard. There are no injuries and no environmental damage," said Polar Star Expeditions spokeswoman Mary Filbee.
According to Filbee, the ship — which departed from Ushuaia last week — resumed sailing along the Antarctic Peninsula last night and will stop at the Arctowski Station, where it will be inspected before its anticipated return to Ushuaia on Friday.
The International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) released a statement yesterday saying there were 32 Americans and 14 British passengers among the 80 passengers onboard.
The ship was built in 1969, refurbished in 2001, and began sailing to Antarctica in 2001.
In December 2010, another ship, Clielia II, ran aground in Antarctica due to bad weather.