SAN DIEGO, March 22, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- On your mark, get set, go! They're off... hamsters around the nation will be duking it out with other fast and furry friends at PETCO's annual Hamster Ball Derby on April 2, 2011 at 2 p.m. Families are invited to bring their pet hamster to their local store to watch the tiny family companions compete. The derby is part of a weekend long Meet the Critters event that is packed with educational events and family fun.
If you think the Olympics is exciting, wait until PETCO's Hamster Ball Derby gets into action. The crowd will be roaring as high-speed hamsters bring on the adrenaline. Racers are encouraged to arrive at 1:30 p.m. in order to register and snag a spot. Prizes will be awarded to the winner including:
- 1st: Super Pet Critter Trail Treat Zone Habitat & Kaytee 2.5 Fiesta Food
- 2nd: Kaytee Hamster Forti-Diet Pro Health Honey Value Size Treat Stick
- 3rd: Super Pet 3 pk Rock N Roll wood chews
For those who don't have a hamster to compete this year or just want to find out why hamsters are one of the most popular mini pets around the world, stop by PETCO's free family-friendly Meet the Critters event on Sunday, April 3rd from 1-2 p.m. Knowledgeable staff will be on hand for the interactive meet-and-greet where kids of all ages can hold the pets, as well as find out habitat and diet information and fun facts such as:
- Hamsters are easy to handle and can be a great starter pet for a young family
- Hamsters are nocturnal
- Hamsters can carry up to half their body weight in food in their cheek pouches.
- Hamsters are solitary by nature. They do not need, want and should not have fellow hamster companionship.
- Never lift a hamster by the scruff of the neck. Instead, place one hand under the body and place the other one over the back.
This April weekend will be filled with abundant hamster happiness for the young and old. Make sure the family hamster is fit and psyched up for these action-packed and educational events. For more information go to petco.com/critters or contact your local PETCO store.
PETCO is a privately held specialty retailer that provides products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. We operate more than 1,000 stores in 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as a leading pet products and information destination at . Our nonprofit organization, The PETCO Foundation, has raised nearly $70 million since its inception in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 7,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 200,000 adoptable animals every year.
This information was brought to you by Cision