ST. LOUIS, May 20, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Shriners Hospitals for Children® — St. Louis has been named by U.S. News as one of the top 10 pediatric orthopedic hospitals in America. The hospital is co-listed with St. Louis Children's Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine due to their partnership in providing pediatric orthopedics.
"We are proud to be recognized as a part of this excellent continuum of orthopedic care with our partners at St. Louis Children's Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine," said Hospital Administrator John Gloss. "We are grateful that St. Louis Children's Hospital invited us to participate in the pediatric orthopedic portion of their survey."
Chief of Staff Perry L. Schoenecker, M.D., said the ranking confirms that the partnership between the three entities brings the nation's best in orthopedic care to children and families in St. Louis.
"I congratulate our physicians and staff members who consistently deliver on the promise of our mission to provide the highest quality of care to children within a compassionate, family-centered and collaborative care environment," said Dr. Schoenecker.
Most of the physicians at Shriners Hospitals for Children are faculty members at Washington University School of Medicine, and the two organizations partner together with St. Louis Children's Hospital to provide innovative and collaborative care for children with orthopedic conditions.
Tammy M. Robbins
About the 2011 Rankings
U.S. News invited 177 pediatric centers to complete the 95-page survey, which included across-the-board questions about nurse-to-patient ratio and infection-reduction measures, as well as more specialty-specific data, such as pediatric orthopedics.
Clinical research, ability to prevent surgical complications, and overall infection prevention are among the factors that made up 75 percent of a hospital's score. Most of the data came from a U.S. News survey of children's hospitals. The other 25 percent reflects how many of 450 pediatric orthopedists surveyed in 2009, 2010, and 2011 recommended the hospital.
The orthopedic rankings can be viewed online at and the complete rankings can be found online at . The Best Hospitals print guide published by U.S. News, will be available on Amazon.com in mid-August and on newsstands Aug. 30.
About Shriners Hospitals for Children
Shriners Hospitals for Children is changing lives every day through innovative pediatric specialty care, world-class research and outstanding medical education. The 22 hospitals in the United States, Canada and Mexico provide advanced care for children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate.
Shriners Hospitals for Children is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and relies on the generosity of donors. All donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law.
This information was brought to you by Cision