WASHINGTON, June 8, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC), the largest Arab-American grass roots organization in the U.S., will host the ADC National Convention, June 10, 11, and 12, 2011 at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, 2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington, DC. 20008. The theme for this year's convention is entitled "Defining Our Role in a Changing World."
Confirmed speakers include (partial listing):
- DEBORAH RAMIREZ, a Professor at Northeastern University Law School.
- ALIA MALEK, author and civil rights lawyer.
- MICHAEL ROLINCE, a recognized expert in counterterrorism, intelligence and counterintelligence investigations.
- RALPH NADER, America's most renowned and effective crusader for the rights of consumers.
- DANIEL SUTHERLAND, Chief, Countering Violent Extremism Group, National Counterterrorism Center.
- ROY AUSTIN, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Civil Rights Division at the U.S. Department of Justice.
- SHARIF EL-GAMAL, NYC real estate developer of Park 51 "Ground Zero Mosque."
- PAUL FINDLEY, former U.S. Representative from Illinois and cofounder of the Council for the National Interest.
- JEFFREY GHANNAM, a journalist, lawyer and media development practitioner in the Middle East.
- KHALED MATTAWA, Libyan author-writer who teaches at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- RADIA DAOUSSI, Tunisian native and president of the Vineeta Foundation.
- SAMER SHEHATA, Assistant Professor of Arab Politics at Georgetown University.
- HADY AMR, USAID's Deputy Assistant Administrator for the Middle East.
- IMAM YAHYA HENDI, Muslim chaplain at Georgetown University.
- RABBI ARTHUR WASKOW founder and director of the Shalom Center.
- DEAN OBEIDALLAH, comedian who has appeared on CNN, and Al Jazeera's "The Stream."
- JILLIAN YORK, writer and activist whose work focuses on freedom of expression in the Arab world.
- WILLIAM YOUMANS, Ph.D candidate at the University of Michigan and a new media consultant.
- AHMED AHMED, comedian, performer, and producer of the new film, "Just Like Us."
- MANAL OMAR, director of Iraq and Iran programs at the U.S. Institute of Peace.
- KHALED BEYDOUN, a graduate of the UCLA School of Law and the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- MOON YOUSIF SULFAB, president of the Congressional Muslim Staff Association
- MOHAMAD DEEB, a former ADC intern and staff member.
- MOHAMMED MARAQA, designer, applications for progressive campaigns and non-profit organizations.
- GEORGE NAGGIAR, founder of the American Association for Palestinian Equal Rights.
- MIKO PELED, Israeli peace activist and writer living in the US.
- JOSH RUEBNER, National Advocacy Director of the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation.
- GHASSAN SHABANEH, Associate Professor of Middle East Studies at Marymount College.
- YOUSEF MUNAYYER is Executive Director of The Jerusalem Fund and The Palestine Center.
- AFIF SAFIA, Roving Ambassador of Special Missions for the PLO, and the Fatah Deputy Commissioner for International Relations.
- CLOVIS MAKSOUD, former Ambassador of the Arab League, professor of law at American University.
- NADIA HIJAB, Co-director of Al-Shabaka, the Palestinian Policy Network and co-founder of US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation.
- THE NEW YORK ARABIC ORCHESTRA, performing both classical and traditional music on Friday evening and Saturday at the Gala Banquet.
- BASSAM SABA, Arab music virtuoso performing at the Gala Banquet Saturday evening.
FOR COMPLETE LIST OF PANELS AND SPEAKERS PLEASE VISIT:
The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC), which is non-profit, non-sectarian and non-partisan, is the largest Arab-American civil rights organization in the United States. It was founded in 1980 by former Senator James Abourezk to protect the civil rights of people of Arab descent in the United States and to promote the cultural heritage of Arab Americans. ADC has 38 chapters nationwide, including chapters in every major city in the country, and members in all 50 states.
The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee logo is available at
CONTACT: Warren David Tel: 202-224-2990 Mobile: 313-999-6000 Email: email@example.com Website: www.adc.org/convention