Two newborns at an Australian hospital were breastfed by the wrong mothers after an Australia hospital mixed up two infants, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
A worker at St. John of God Hospital in Geelong, Australia, neglected to check the name bracelets and the babies were brought to the wrong mothers on Friday. They were breastfed during the eight hours they were each with the wrong families, the Herald wrote.
The mistake was caught after a family member raised concerns, hospital spokesman Stephen Roberts told the Herald. The women and their babies are being tested to make sure they didn't contract any infections.
‘‘[It] is just a terrible tragedy and it’s come to a great shock to us and the families involved,’’ Roberts told radio 3AW. "... Our protocols and processes broke down and we’re deeply apologetic and regretful for the pain and concern that we’ve caused these families."