The southbound lanes of an Interstate 95 overpass, shut down last week after a fiery tanker truck crash, were reopened in time for the Wednesday morning commute, a state official said.
The heavily traveled section of I-95, the main link between New York and Boston, was severely damaged when a truck carrying 12,000 gallons of home heating oil struck a barrier and erupted into flames Thursday. No one was seriously injured.
The northbound lanes of the bridge reopened Sunday night.
The three southbound lanes were opened about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, said Chris Cooper, spokesman for the state Department of Transportation. Crews had worked Tuesday and throughout the night to pave over a section of temporary bridge brought in to replace the overpass.
Gov. John G. Rowland said the temporary bridge is safe. “That temporary bridge could be used for years if it is properly maintained,” he said.
Officials initially had said it might take weeks to repair the bridge, but have worked around the clock to open it sooner.