Six men and six women -- including a man who once directed Martha Stewart's television show -- were selected Thursday as jurors for the retrial of former star investment banker Frank Quattrone.
Four alternate jurors were to be selected Friday, when opening statements were expected to begin.
The seated jurors also include a former actor, a Greenwich Village doorman and a software entrepreneur. They will sit for a trial expected to last three weeks in Manhattan federal court.
Quattrone, 48, is accused of obstructing a federal stock probe by sending an e-mail to employees at Credit Suisse First Boston on Dec. 5, 2000, urging them to destroy files.
His first trial ended last fall with the jury deadlocked but leaning toward conviction on the three counts against him -- two counts of obstruction of justice and a count of witness tampering.
The final juror selected was a freelance TV director who has worked for talk shows, court programs and at least two major networks. He said he directed the Stewart program for several months.
U.S. District Judge Richard Owen stressed to the juror that the Stewart case was separate from the Quattrone matter. Stewart was convicted last month of lying to investigators about a stock sale.
The judge asked the juror whether he could set the Stewart trial aside as he heard the Quattrone case.
"You mean what she's just been through?" the man asked. "Oh, yeah."
When Quattrone sent his e-mail, federal authorities were looking into how the bank doled out shares of hot new-to-market stocks. No criminal charges were filed in the probe.
Quattrone contends that the e-mail, which urged subordinates to "catch up on file cleaning" for the holidays, was simply following bank policy. CSFB required some regular destruction of documents as a normal part of business.
Owen has ordered reporters covering the trial not to disclose the names of jurors until the trial is complete -- despite the fact that the names were read in open court during jury selection.
News organizations, including The Associated Press, asked the judge to reconsider on constitutional grounds, but he upheld his order late Wednesday.
News outlets traditionally do not name jurors during trials, but some newspapers named a juror in the trial of two former Tyco International executives earlier this month.
Some courtroom observers said the woman had made an "OK" sign to defense lawyers, although she has denied making any gesture. The judge in that case called a mistrial after the juror reported receiving threats.
Quattrone made $120 million in one year at the height of his career at CSFB. His career includes taking well-known companies like Amazon.com and Netscape Communications Corp. public.