The Super Bowl has become a de facto American holiday. And what's a holiday without a sale? Steep discounts make Super Bowl week one of the best times to pick up a big-screen HDTV.
If you're not waiting for one of the Ultra HD or OLED HDTVs announced earlier this month, then you'll find some serious deals. This year's prices are sweetest for large screens (55 inches or more) and focus on established technologies like LED 1080p, though you'll also find some discounts on 3D and connected (or "smart") TVs. [See also: Sony's Ultra HD TVs — Not Quite for the 99 Percent ]
Here are the deal highlights from major sellers:
- Samsung 60-inch Ultra Slim Plasma HDTV, 1080p resolution and 3D capability for $1,598 ($932 savings)
- Samsung 55-inch ES7100 LED HDTV for $1,498 ($1,100 savings)
- Vizio 60-inch Razor LED Smart HDTV, 1080p resolution for $899 ($400 savings)
Amazon.com is also including a free soundbar with purchase of select Samsung HDTVs.
- Samsung 55-inch LED HDTV, 1080p resolution, 120Hz screen refresh for $900 ($500 savings)
- Samsung 55-inch Smart 3D LED HDTV, 1080p resolution, 240Hz screen refresh for $1,500 ($1,100 savings)
- Samsung 40-inch LED HDTV, 1080p resolution, 120Hz screen refresh for $550 ($230 savings)
- Samsung 32-inch LED 720p HDTV for $280 ($100 savings)
- Vizio 60-inch SMART, 1080p resolution for $899 ($400 savings)
- Westinghouse 50-inch HDTV, 1080p resolution for $499 ($100 savings)
- Philips 50-inch SMART, 1080p resolution for $579 ($120 savings)
- LG 47-inch HDTV, 1080p resolution, 120Hz screen refresh for $579 ($120 savings)
- Samsung 40-inch HDTV, 1080p resolution for $499 ($180 savings)
Target is also offering $25 delivery and setup with purchase of any HDTV 50 inches or larger (regularly $100).
- Sharp 70-inch LED HDTV for $1,598
- Vizio 60-inch HDTV $888
- LG 47-inch LED HDTV for $548
- Emerson 50-inch LCD TV for $498
Walmart also includes some discounts on sound equipment to go with your new video display, including soundbars from $68 and a Samsung Home Theater System for $248.