IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Possible terror threat shutters US embassies

A possible threat from al-Qaida has led the U.S. to order the closure of nearly two dozen diplomatic posts on Aug. 4. A worldwide travel alert has also been issued through Aug. 31.
/ Source: MSNBC TV

A possible threat from al-Qaida has led the U.S. to order the closure of nearly two dozen diplomatic posts on Aug. 4. A worldwide travel alert has also been issued through Aug. 31.

UPDATED: Nearly two dozen U.S. embassies and consulates in Muslim countries will be closed on Aug. 4 because of a potential terrorist threat, according to U.S. officials. A worldwide travel alert has also been issued through Aug. 31.

NBC News reports that the threat appears to be related to al-Qaida and connected to the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, although a State Department spokesperson declined to elaborate on any specifics.

The embassies and consulates set for closure on Sunday are located throughout the Middle East, Asia, and Northern Africa, and a State Department official said it is possible that some could remain closed beyond Sunday.

“Out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others who may be visiting our installations, that indicates we should institute these precautionary steps,” Marie Harf, a State Department spokeswoman, told NBC News.

In September of last year, an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, led to the deaths of four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.