Egyptian police shot dead one of the prime suspects in the bombings that killed at least 64 people in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on July 23, the Interior Ministry said on Monday.
Mohamed Fulayfel was killed and his wife was wounded in an exchange of fire with police near Gebel Ataqa, a hill 11 miles west of the town of Suez, it said in a statement. It did not say when the gunfight took place.
Fulayfel was also on trial in absentia for bombings at three other Red Sea resorts in October last year. One bomb, at the Hilton hotel in the town of Taba, killed 34 people.
The statement said that security forces, acting on a tip, were approaching a group hiding in quarries in the Gebel Ataqa area when gunmen opened fire at them.
“The police forces immediately dealt with the source of fire and it became clear that Mohamed Ahmed Saleh Fulayfel had been killed. He had been in the company of his wife, who was wounded and taken to hospital for treatment,” it added.
Authorities suspect that the Sharm el-Sheikh bombings — the worst attacks in Egypt since 1981 — were the work of a group of Bedouin based in northern Sinai.
Police had been searching the mountains of southern Sinai for people who might have information on the bombings. Gebel Ataqa is about 200 miles away to the northwest, on the African side of the Suez Canal.