THE MSNBC “My Office Makeover” Contest
1) PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: No purchase necessary to enter or win. The “My Office Makeover” Contest (the "Contest") is a skill contest in which participants can submit a short video describing what they consider to be the “ultimate office” for a chance to win. Promotion begins at 12:01 a.m. (PT) on September 20, 2005 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (PT) on October 31, 2005 (“Entry Period”).
2) HOW TO ENTER: Complete the entry form online at http://officemakeover.onlinepromo.com. You will be asked to submit your first and last name, street address, e-mail address and phone number and using the upload tool presented, to submit one (1) video file containing your video describing what you consider to be the “ultimate office” and how you would create it with $10,000 cash. Video files must be between 30 to 60 seconds in length, formatted in Windows Media Format (.wmv) and must have a file size no larger than two (2) megabytes, encoded at 300K or less. Limit one (1) entry per person and e-mail address. Entries must be in English. Duplicate submissions of identical entries will be disregarded. “Releasees” (as defined below) assume no responsibility for lost, late, illegible, garbled or misdirected entries, or for any computer, online, telephone, human, or other error or for any technical or other malfunctions that may occur. Proof of e-mailing or submission does not constitute proof of delivery. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
Entry may not be offensive, as determined by judges in their sole discretion. Any entrant whose work includes likenesses of third parties or contains elements not owned by the entrant (such as, but not limited to depictions of buildings, trademarks or logos) must be able to provide legal releases for such use including Sponsor’s use of such entry, in a form satisfactory to judges.
Entry must be entrant’s original creation, executed solely by entrant, and may not have been previously published under any licenses or otherwise, or won any other award and the right to submit it must not be restricted. Entry cannot defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or proprietary rights. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party’s pre-existing work does not qualify as entrant’s original creation. All entry submissions must be in English.
3) WINNER SELECTION / JUDGiNG CRITERIA:
Determining Finalists: All eligible entries received will be screened by a panel of qualified judges supervised by an independent judging organization, who will score each entrant’s entry submission based on the following judging criteria each of which to be weighted equally (25% each): Creativity, Entertainment Value, Clarity of Expression, Quality of Video Presentation. The judges will choose the twenty (20) highest scoring Finalists. All Finalists selected will win a Finalist Prize, as described below and will be posted on the “Office Makeover” website for public voting to select the winners, as described below.
Public Voting to Select Winners: The twenty (20) Finalists will be posted to the MSNBC “Office Makeover” web site located online at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8985887 and visitors to the site meeting the eligibility requirements for voting as set forth on the web site will have the opportunity to vote for the Grand Prize Winners, based on the same judging criteria set forth above. The voting period will be held between November 7, 2005 and December 7, 2005. Voters must follow instructions on web site to submit their votes. Limit one (1) vote per person. Subsequent votes by a single user will be disqualified. The entry that receives the most votes in this round of judging will win the First Prize. The entries that receive the second and third most votes will win the Second Prize and Third Prize, respectively as described below.
In the event of a tie during the winner selection process, all tied entries will be re-judged by additional successive independent judges based on the criteria listed above and that judge will break the tie. The Judges' decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this contest.
All prizes will be awarded provided a sufficient number of qualified eligible entries are received. Winners will be notified by U.S. Mail and/or e-mail on or about December 12, 2005. Non-selected entrants will not be contacted. Should a potential winner decline the prize for any reason whatsoever, the next-eligible highest ranking entry will be deemed the winner of that prize.
4) PRIZES: One (1) First Prize: $10,000 cash, awarded as a check from the Contest Administrator, a copy of Microsoft Money 2006 Premium, a copy of Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition, a copy of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, a Microsoft® Wireless Optical Desktop 4000, and a Microsoft® Fingerprint Reader. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of First Prize: $ 10,566. One (1) Second Prize: $2,000 cash, awarded as a check from the Contest Administrator, a copy of Microsoft Money 2006 Premium, a copy of Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition, a copy of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, a Microsoft® Wireless Optical Desktop 4000, and a Microsoft® Fingerprint Reader. ARV of Second Prize: $2,566. One (1) Third Prize: $1,000 cash, awarded as a check from the Contest Administrator, a copy of Microsoft Money 2006 Premium, a copy of Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition, a copy of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, a Microsoft® Wireless Optical Desktop 4000, and a Microsoft® Fingerprint Reader. ARV of Third Prize: $1,566. Total ARV of all prizes=$14,698. Any applicable taxes on a prize not listed herein are the sole responsibility of the winners. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if entire prize or a portion of the prize is unavailable. No barter, transfer, or assignment of any prize permitted, except by Sponsor at its sole discretion. Prizes are not redeemable for cash. Prizes will be awarded by e-mail and/or U.S. mail. Any and all guarantees and warranties for merchandise prizes are subject to the manufacturer’s terms and conditions, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty or guarantee claim.
5) ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open to U.S. residents 18 years of age or older. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of MSNBC Interactive News, LLC, and anyone working directly on MSNBC programs and their respective affiliates, parent companies, subsidiaries, prize suppliers, promotion, advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family members and persons living in the households of each are not eligible to enter.
6) GENERAL CONDITIONS: No mechanically reproduced, illegible, incoherent, unusable, or incomplete entries will be accepted. Releases are not responsible for typographical errors or any other errors in entries submitted. Entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. No correspondence regarding entries will be entered into with entrants. By entering, each entrant forfeits to Sponsor all rights to content of his/her entry and the concepts embodied therein. Entrant unconditionally assigns and transfers to Sponsor all rights, title, interest and claim, which it now has or may in the future have to the entries or any element(s) thereafter. Sponsor shall have right to use, alter, assign or dispose of such entries however it sees fit without approval of entrants. Permission is also granted for Sponsor to publish entry in perpetuity in any medium it may see fit including, but not limited to, website, television, radio and/or printed materials. Entrants shall not receive any compensation or credit for use of entries, other than that disclosed in these rules. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules. The laws of the United States govern this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Potential winners may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and where legal, Publicity Release, within 14 days following the date of issuance of notification. Non-compliance within this time period or return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for MSNBC Interactive News, LLC and its agents to use winner’s name and likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation unless prohibited by law. By entering, participants release and hold harmless MSNBC Interactive News, LLC and its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotions agencies , prize suppliers, all of their employees, officers, directors, shareholder's and agents (collectively, "Releasees") from any and all liability or any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, the use of any entry, or the acceptance or use of any prize won.
7) INTERNET: The use of any automated launching or entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits the participant to automatically enter or vote repeatedly (as solely determined by Sponsor) is prohibited. If for any reason this contest is not capable of running as planned due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, uploads of malicious files or viruses, or any other causes beyond the control of MSNBC Interactive News, LLC which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, MSNBC Interactive News, LLC reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry or any individual who tampers with the entry or voting process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and select winners using all eligible non-suspect entries and/or votes received as of the date of termination. Releasees assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Releasees are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in this contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, MSNBC INTERACTIVE NEWS, LLC RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON (S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a winner based on an e-mail address, the winning entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
8) WHO WON: To receive name of the winners by mail after December 12, 2005, please mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to: MSNBC Office Makeover Contest Winners, P.O. Box 706, Sayreville, NJ 08871-0706.
9) SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this contest is MSNBC Interactive News, LLC, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, Washington, 98052-6399. The Contest Administrator is Marden-Kane Inc., 36 Maple Place, Manhasset, NY 11030.