From "being nerds" to being seen as threats, negative stereotypes about Asian and Asian-American men "have been perpetuated and maintained through history," according to Kevin Nadal, president of the Asian American Psychological Association.
But where did those stereotypes come from? And how has that affected how Asian-American men are portrayed in Hollywood?
"Take Back" is a five-part series on "NBC Asian America Presents...," a digital video channel that will feature original content centered around themes and voices found in Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. "NBC Asian America Presents..." videos can also be watched on NBC Asian America's Facebook page, NBC News' official YouTube channel, and the NBC News app available on mobile devices, Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV.
Catch up on more videos online at NBCAsianAmericaPresents.com.
WATCH MORE "TAKE BACK":
- Episode 1: Run River North Is Making Music, Sharing Stories
- Episode 2: Young Adults Speak Out About Encountering Islamophobia
- Episode 3: Where Do Stereotypes About Asian-American Men Come From?
- Episode 4: How the Model Minority Myth Hurts Asian-American Elders
- Episode 5: Nicole Ponseca Aims to Bring Filipino Food 'to the Masses'