IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Six Cops Suspended in Death of Baltimore Man, Deny Using Force

The officers who arrested Freddie Gray denied using force on the 25-year-old Baltimore man, who died a week later with neck and spine injuries.
Get more newsLiveon
/ Source: NBC News

The six police officers involved in the case of a Baltimore man who died after his spine was allegedly severed while in custody denied using or witnessing any force during the arrest, a city official said Monday.

There have been several days of protest in Baltimore after 25-year-old Freddie Gray was videotaped being pinned to the ground by police and then bundled into a police van — only to die a week later.

Baltimore Deputy Police Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez made the disclosure at a press conference Monday, where an “angry” and “frustrated” Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake promised a thorough investigation and to provide a “very, very tense” Baltimore with “all of the information it deserves.”

“None of the officers describe any use of force,” Rodriguez said. “None of the officers describe using any force against Mr. Gray.”

The officers were identified Tuesday by the Baltimore police as Lt. Brian Rice, 41, who has been with the department since 1997; Sgt. Alicia White, 30, who has been with the department since 2010; Officer William Porter, 25, who has been with the department since 2012; Officer Garrett Miller, 26, who has been with the department since 2012; Officer Edward Nero, 29, who has been with the department since 2012; and Officer Caesar Goodson, 45, who has been with the department since 1999. All six have been suspended without pay.

Rodriguez said he did not know yet what happened to Gray, who died Sunday, a week after officials said he bolted from three cops after making eye contact with one of them.

“When Mr. Gray was placed in that van, he was able to talk, he was upset,” Rodriguez said. “When he was taken out of the van, he could not talk, he could not breathe.”

Gray’s lawyer said that Gray’s spinal cord was 80 percent severed and that his neck was broken. An autopsy was performed Monday.

Related: Protesters Demand 'Justice' in Freddie Gray's Death

Gray asked officers for his asthma inhaler, which he did not have with him. Officers took Gray to the Western District station house — first stopping en route to secure his feet. They called for an ambulance approximately 40 minutes after he requested his inhaler, according to a police timeline.

Image: Freddie Gray
Freddie Gray photo provided by family’s attorney.WBAL

Court records show police issued Gray a summons for a switchblade knife on Sunday. It was unclear whether officers knew Gray had a knife or why they chased after him, but Rawlings-Blake said, “We know having a knife is not necessarily a crime, not necessarily probable cause.”

“I want to know why the officers pursued Mr. Gray; I want to know if the proper procedures were followed; I want to know what steps need to be taken for accountability,” Rawlings-Blake said.

Police Commissioner Anthony Batts promised his department would have its investigation of the incident finished by Friday, May 1, and that the results would be turned over to the state’s attorney’s office for their decision on whether to charge the officers involved.

— William J. Gorta