In the latest twist to an incident that has rocked Argentina, a prosecutor on Wednesday appealed a judge's decision to throw out an investigation that accused President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner of a cover-up deal with Iran.
Last week a federal judge said there was "not a single element of evidence, even circumstantial, that points to the head of state." But on Wednesday prosecutor Gerardo Pollicita said that decision was premature and stated the government needed more time. The case now goes to a Federal Chamber of Judges.
The investigation against Fernandez de Kirchner was spearheaded by special prosecutor Alberto Nisman, who was found dead in his apartment bathroom on Jan. 18, the day before he was to testify to Congress.
Nisman accused the president and others in the administration of helping Iranian officials hide their role in the country's worst terrorist attack, the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center which killed 85 people. Fernandez de KIrchner has rejected the allegations, and Iran has denied any role in the bombing.
On the same day the prosecutor appealed to keep the investigation regarding Fernandez de Kirchner and Iranian officials open, the government took out a full-page ad on local newspapers saying the best way to get to the bottom of the 1994 bombing was to revive a stalled agreement with the government of Iran. The ad also raised questions about Nisman's motives, which drew swift reaction in Argentina and on social media.
--Includes reporting from the AP