The federal government said it's done responding to Texas and other states and urged a judge to speed up his ruling on whether programs granting immigrants deportation deferrals can go forward.
The programs, made possible through executive action taken by President Barack Obama, have been on hold since a judge issued a temporary injunction on Feb. 16. The programs, known by their acronyms DACA and DAPA, could shield millions of immigrants illegally here from deportation and grant them work permits.
Government attorneys said that if U.S. District Judge Edward Hanen does not rule by the end of business day Monday, they may go to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans "to protect their interests."
Last week, federal government lawyers asked him to rule within two days on their motion to put his order on hold. Instead, he gave the states a week to respond.
In a separate document filed Tuesday, the federal government informed the judge it issued three-year deportation deferrals and work permits to about 100,000 people under the 2012 DACA program. The government said the immigrants were granted the deferrals and permits before the judge's ruling, which did not apply to the 2012 program, so there is no need to revoke them.
- Immigration Aplenty, Latinos Few on News Shows
- Latino Group to GOP: Growing 'Malignancy' on Immigration
- Texas: Obama Admitted He Expanded Executive Powers
--Suzanne Gamboa and Pete Williams