IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Protests Spark in Minneapolis After Black Man is Shot By Police

A Black man in Minneapolis was allegedly shot by police while handcuffed. Protest have sparked in the aftermath of the shooting.
Get more newsLiveon

A man is on life support after he was allegedly shot, witnesses say while handcuffed, by Minneapolis police early Sunday morning. Police said their preliminary investigation shows the man was not handcuffed, but the investigation is ongoing.

After a large, agitated crowd gathered at the scene and demonstrations endured throughout the day, Minneapolis Mayor Besty Hodges announced Monday that she had asked the Justice Department to "review" the shooting and open a civil rights investigation.

During the protests, witnesses claimed that police used a chemical irritant to subdue them, and about 10 protesters spent a rainy and windy Sunday night outside a police precinct station not far from the scene of the shooting. They vowed to stay until the officer was arrested or indicted.

Jason Sole, chair of the Minneapolis NAACP's criminal justice committee, said Sunday that many black residents of north Minneapolis are upset.

"We have been saying for a significant amount of time that Minneapolis is one bullet away from Ferguson," he said, referring to the police shooting last year in the St. Louis suburb that prompted nationwide protests. "That bullet was fired last night. We want justice immediately," Sole told Minnesota Public Radio News.

The shooting happened after police said they were called to north Minneapolis around 12:45 a.m. Sunday for a report of an assault. When they arrived, the man had returned and was interfering with paramedics who were assisting the victim, police said. Officers tried to calm him, but there was a struggle. At some point, an officer fired at least once, hitting the man, police said.

Authorities have not released any information on the officer, including name and race. Authorities have also declined to release the name of the man who was shot, but the Minneapolis NAACP cited family members and witnesses in identifying him as Jamar Clark.

Martez McKnight, 22, told The Associated Press that Clark, his uncle, was put on life support after he was taken to a hospital.

"The family is heartbroken and traumatized by the whole event," McKnight said.

A statement Sunday night from state Rep. Raymond Dehn, who represents the area, said Clark was on life support.

Police and a spokeswoman for the Hennepin County Medical Center said they could not comment on the man's condition.

Protesters organized by the group Black Lives Matter Minneapolis marched through the streets Sunday afternoon. Some beat drums and others carried banners. The group went to a police precinct, where they banged on the door and demanded to be allowed inside.

Raeisha Williams with the Minneapolis NAACP told the AP protesters plan to stay at the precinct until the names of the officers involved are released.

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges and police Chief Janee Harteau held a listening session with the community Sunday evening.

Steven Belton, interim president and CEO of the Minneapolis Urban League, was in attendance.

"There is so much anger and pain, and it's combined with a lack of information," Belton said.

Harteau said after the meeting that "misinformation" is being spread about the case, but she would not elaborate.

The chief said she has asked the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to conduct an independent investigation.

"We need to know exactly what happened, we need to know the truth," she said. "Everyone involved needs that and deserves that."

Two officers are on paid leave, standard practice after such an incident.

Drew Evans, BCA superintendent, said the agency wants to talk to anyone who saw the shooting or might have video of it. When asked about the handcuffs, Evans said there were handcuffs at the scene, but added that authorities are working to determine the exact situation when the man was shot.