IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

2nd night of protests over NYPD shooting of Brooklyn teen

Protesters gathered in Brooklyn for the second night Tuesday to protest the Saturday shooting of a teen by New York City police officers.

About 100 people gathered to march from the scene of the shooting to a police precinct in the East Flatbush neighborhood amid a heavy police presence.

“People gotta say, we’ve had enough of going to bed and waking up to another police killing,” protester Juanita Young told NBC New York.

Kimani Gray, 16, adjusted his waistband suspiciously and pulled a .38-caliber revolver before officers shot him shortly before 11:30 p.m. on Saturday, police told NBC New York. Police fired eleven shots and struck Gray multiple times. A revolver with four live rounds was found at the scene, according to police.

More than 70 people marched to a police precinct on Monday to protest Gray’s shooting. The protesters threw garbage and empty bottles at the precinct, NBC New York reported. The precinct building was not damaged, but officials told the station that a 51-year-old man was injured and had his iPhone stolen when 50 people stormed a neighborhood Rite Aid.

“They were throwing garbage in the street,” witness Winston James told NBC New York, “pelting the city buses, pulling down the fruit stand.”

A 19-year-old was arrested for looting after Monday’s protest. There were no reported arrests after Tuesday’s demonstration.

Outrage over Gray’s violent death has reached the city’s top cop.

City Councilman Jumaane Williams, who represents the district where the shooting took place, clashed with police commissioner Ray Kelly on Tuesday, saying that Kelly does not spend enough time in his district.

“I was there last night at 1 o’clock in the morning,” Kelly said.

“Yes, but you didn’t walk around, I didn’t ask you to because there wasn’t the time to do it,” Williams said. “But I want to go when it is safer, when there are people we can talk to.”

A family vigil for Gray was delayed by the protests but was scheduled to go ahead Wednesday.

“We understand the frustration in the community, but we have a grieving mother who’s lost two sons in three years, and all she wants to do is bury her son,” said Gilford Monrose, a spokesman for the family.