Three Girls Dead in Troy, Ohio, After Carbon Monoxide Leak

Emergency personnel work to save four young victims of carbon monoxide poisoning in Troy, Ohio, on Feb. 27.
Emergency personnel work to save four young victims of carbon monoxide poisoning in Troy, Ohio, on Feb. 27.Mike Ullery / WDTN

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
SUBSCRIBE

Three teens have died after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning while at their grandmother’s house, police said.

A relative found the three teenage girls and an eight-year-old boy unconscious inside the home in Troy, Ohio, on Friday, Sgt. Tom Gibson told NBC News. Two of the teens, 14 and 13-year-old sisters, were pronounced dead after being rushed to the hospital. The Miami County Coroner determined carbon monoxide poisoning to be the cause of death, NBC station WDTN reported. Another 13-year-old girl died on Sunday, Gibson confirmed. Her eight-year-old brother remains in the hospital in critical condition.

Police believe the group was exposed to the high levels of carbon monoxide due to a leak in the home’s furnace, police said. All of the children are related and were alone at the time. The house belongs to their grandmother who was hospitalized the day before the incident and is likely suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning as well, police told WDTN.

- Shamar Walters
Emergency personnel work to save four young victims of carbon monoxide poisoning in Troy, Ohio, on Feb. 27.Mike Ullery / WDTN