Subscribe to Breaking News emails

You have successfully subscribed to the Breaking News email.

Subscribe today to be the first to to know about breaking news and special reports.

Accused White House Intruder Omar Gonzalez Hit With New Charges

 / Updated 

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

The man who allegedly jumped a White House fence and made it inside the executive mansion before he was stopped last month was hit with new charges Thursday, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said.

A federal grand jury returned an indictment against Omar Gonzalez, 42, on two counts of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers or employees and one count of unlawful possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Those charges are in addition to counts of unlawfully entering a restricted building while carrying a deadly weapon, carrying a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of ammunition.

Gonzalez allegedly breached the secure grounds of the White House on Sept. 19, in an incident that drew criticism to security procedures that led to the resignation of Secret Service Director Julia Pierson. Gonzalez, who was carrying a knife and had a machete and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in his car, made it as far as the East Room of the White House before he was tackled, officials said.

IN-DEPTH

— Phil Helsel

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news