Schools in Nashua, New Hampshire, will reopen Tuesday after a ‘detailed threat of violence’ shuttered them Monday, authorities said.
“There is no current credible threat to any Nashua public school,” Nashua Police Chief Andrew Lavoie said during a news conference Monday.
School superintendent Mark Conrad said that the threat, which was made via email on Sunday morning, was “specific.” It named two public schools, the day they would be targeted — Monday — and “the means by which students would be harmed,” he said.
Citing an ongoing investigation, Lavoie declined to discuss the content of the email or where it was sent from, though he said that because authorities couldn’t “definitively say that this was credible or a hoax,” the superintendent ordered all schools to be closed “with my full support.”
Federal, state and local authorities then checked every school for “threats or devices,” Lavoie said, adding that none were found.
Asked if a suspect had been identified, Lavoie said that authorities were still investigating, and he said it remained unclear if the threat was a hoax.
The Granite state incident came less than a week after Los Angeles officials responded to threatening emails by closing all of the district’s 1,500-plus public schools. Those threats were later determined to not be credible.
New York City received similar messages but officials did not close schools — and on the campaign trail in New Hampshire on Monday, Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson described the school threats as “a regular routine thing now.”
His prescription for “hoax” threats? A “penalty” so “severe that none of our people would even think about it, quite frankly,” he said during a forum on security at the University of New Hampshire.