Oil-fortune heir Andrew Getty died from a large gastrointestinal hemorrhage but with a toxic level of methamphetamine in his system, according to a coroner's report.
Getty, the 47-year-old grandson of billionaire oil baron J. Paul Getty, was found dead in his Hollywood Hills home by his on-again, off-again girlfriend on March 31. His personal assistant told investigators Getty had been complaining of stomach pains and was booked to see a doctor the following day.
The Los Angeles County coroner's report ruled Getty's death an accident as a result of the hemmorhage due to duodenal ulcers. A "toxic" level of meth and heart disease were contributing factors, according to the report.
Investigators found unspent shotgun shells scattered around Getty's lower body, along with blood on and around the oil heir. Authorities initially questioned Getty's girlfriend given a history of domestic-disturbances but the coroner's report, however, concluded there were no signs of foul play.
The report noted that Getty's girlfriend — who found the oil heir's bloody and half-clothed body on the floor of his home — told authorities he used an "8-ball" of meth per day. An array of drugs, glass smoking pipes and some syringes were found in Getty's room — along with a variety of prescription drugs and a plastic box of sushi.
A red cell phone sitting on Getty's bedside table had two unread messages on the locked preview screen.
"Lemme know if you need something. Imma grabbing the good stuff in a minute," read one. The second read: "It's a good batch my man."