A 10-year-old boy suffered minor injuries when he was bitten by a shark Wednesday in Daytona Beach Shores, Florida. He is the second 10-year-old to be attacked in Florida in a week and at least the fourth person to have been attacked in Volusia County this year, authorities said.
The boy, who wasn't identified, was bitten on the calf as he swam in chest-deep waters just after 1 p.m. ET, said Tamra Marris, a spokeswoman for Volusia County Beach Safety/Ocean Rescue. A lifeguard responded, and the boy was treated at the scene for lacerations on his leg without having to go to a hospital.
The beach safety agency told NBC station WESH of Orlando that beaches would remain open.
Related: North Carolina Shark Attack Victim Who Lost Arm 'Didn't See It Coming'
Another 10-year-old boy is recovering from what authorities called "significant injuries" after he was attacked last week off Cocoa Beach, about 60 miles south.
Wednesday's attack was the fourth reported this year in Volusia County, which was labeled the shark bite capital of the world earlier this year by the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida.
But while the rate of shark attacks may appear to be on the rise, data suggest that perception reflects better reporting and an increase in the number of people involved in water activities, not an increase in aggressiveness by sharks.
There were 72 reported attacks on humans around the world in 2014, the shark attack center said — three fewer than in 2013.