Newsweek was banned from the courthouse Wednesday for the rest of Colorado theater gunman James Holmes' trial after it published the name of the jury foreman.
"It is really disappointing that something like this happened," said Arapahoe County Chief District Judge Carlos Samour, who declined the defense's request for a contempt citation against the magazine and appointment of a special investigator to determine how Newsweek got the foreman's name.
Samour issued his order after the foreman told him that he had received a tweet — from someone he didn't know — linking to a Newsweek article last week that published his full name. Newsweek repeated the man's name in its own tweet linking to the article.
Newsweek has removed both the tweet and the article, which said the foreman "never took his eyes" off Holmes as Samour read the guilty verdicts.
The jury is now deliberating whether Holmes should live or die in the penalty phase of his trial. It's the same jury that convicted him last week of 24 counts of first-degree murder and 140 other charges in the July 20, 2012, attack at a movie theater in Aurora that killed 12 people and injured 70 others.