IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Baltimore blogger airs police talks, surrenders

BALTIMORE — A Baltimore blogger wanted on a court-issued warrant surrendered without incident to authorities late Saturday after broadcasting on Internet radio his negotiations with police who had surrounded his home. 

Police said 47-year-old Frank James MacArthur emerged late Saturday evening. He had remained inside his home when law-enforcement officers sought at around 6 p.m. to serve a warrant issued in June for a probation violation stemming from a 2009 gun case. Authorities said MacArthur had missed a court hearing. 

With a tactical unit outside, MacArthur broadcast his talks with a police negotiator on The Baltimore Spectator website. 

MacArthur expressed frustration about his treatment by police, telling listeners, "I am surrounded by a bunch of men with guns." 

Lt. Col. Garnell Green said the tactical unit was called in because MacArthur had made numerous threats on Twitter against officers, including those who might try to arrest him. 

Green said MacArthur is being charged with a probation violation, and that police will discuss with prosecutors whether he will face other charges. 

He said officers have been trying to apprehend MacArthur for several days. 

The Baltimore Sun reports that MacArthur has been a gadfly on local issues, and had been posting on social media for several days about his "fugitive" status and alleging that police would try to harm him. He claimed he was never notified about the court date. 

During talks with the Baltimore police negotiator, Lt. Jason Yerg, MacArthur continued to express concerns about his safety. 

He criticized the heavy police presence at his Waverly home, saying of the negotiator, "He needs to be battling bad guys, not spending his time talking to The Baltimore Spectator." 

MacArthur said he would come out at around 10:30 p.m., but then offered more commentary. At one point he thanked CNN commentator Roland Martin for expressing interest in his case via Twitter. Martin advised MacArthur, "You NEED to go outside," and also Tweeted that MacArthur's attorney should meet him at the police station. 

MacArthur emerged around 11 p.m. and was taken into custody. 

More content from

Follow US news from on Twitter and Facebook