IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Two dead, 28 injured in Baltimore block party mass shooting, police say

The two who were killed were adults. More than a dozen of the injured were minors, police said. Violence was also reported in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Wichita., Kansas
Get more newsLiveonNBC News Now

At least two people were killed and dozens were injured in a mass shooting at a block party in Baltimore early Sunday, officials said.

The two people who were killed at the party, in the Brooklyn Homes neighborhood, were identified by police Sunday as Aaliyah Gonzalez, 18, and Kylis Fagbemi, 20. Police originally said Aaliyah's last name was spelled Gonzales.

Police said 28 others were injured, three of them critically. In a statement on Sunday, Baltimore police said those injured victims ranged in age from 13 to 32 — 15 were 13 to 17 years old, and the others were adults. Mayor Brandon Scott said agencies providing resident services have been dispatched to ensure that similar violence doesn't happen during the July Fourth holiday.

“We won’t stop until we find those responsible and hold them accountable, we won’t,” Scott said. “With that said, we need the help of our residents and anyone that knows anything to come forward and say something so that we can bring those who are recklessly carrying out acts of violence like this to justice.”

A thorough investigation is in the works, according to acting Police Commissioner Richard Worley, who says a reward of up to $28,000 is being offered to anyone with information on the perpetrators of the shooting.

"Our hearts and prayers continue to go out with these families and acquaintances, friends and coworkers and our city as well as our community," Worley said.

Police first got calls about the shooting around 12:30 a.m. Sunday.

Nineteen people were taken to the emergency department of MedStar Harbor Hospital, all “suffering varying degrees of injury from gunshot wounds,” said Debra Schindler, MedStar Health's regional director of media and public relations.

“Multiple critically injured patients were evaluated and triaged simultaneously by clinical staff, while hospital security managed the throng of family members that gathered in and outside of the emergency department,” Schindler said in a statement.

Nine patients were transferred to other Baltimore trauma centers, and the rest had been treated and released by Sunday afternoon.

Seven patients remain in the hospital, four are in critical condition while three are stable, officials said Monday.

University of Maryland Medical Center said in a statement that 12 patients were in its trauma center and that four more were being treated in the pediatric emergency department. By Sunday afternoon, seven patients continued to be treated at the medical center's R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, a spokesperson said.

Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott said at a morning news conference: "This was a reckless, cowardly act that happened here.

"I want those who are responsible to hear me, hear me very clearly," Scott continued. "We will not stop until we find you, and we will find you."

Addressing the perpetrators directly, he said: "I hope, every single breath that you take, that you think about the lives that you took and you think about the lives that you impacted here tonight."

Speaking Sunday morning with MSNBC’s Katie Phang, Scott called on people to come forward with information.

"Somebody out there knows who did this," he said.

"We need you to say something," he said. "We need you to treat this as if someone had taken the life of your son, your daughter, your father, your brother. We need you to do that and step up and do the right thing."

Police also appealed to the public Sunday afternoon to send any video they might have from the scene. Police said they weren't sure whether the victims were targeted or whether people were shooting indiscriminately up the street.

The weekend violence wasn't confined to Baltimore. Seven people were shot and two more were injured when they were trampled in the City Nightz nightclub on N. Washington Street in Wichita, Kansas, just before 1 a.m. Sunday, police said. Authorities said that there were no deaths and that one person was in custody, adding that their investigation showed shots came from at least four firearms.

The victims are ages 22 to 34, police said, adding that the two victims who sustained traumatic injuries in the trampling were a 30-year-old woman and a 31-year-old man. Emergency medical personnel took five of the victims to hospitals, and the others went in private vehicles, police said.

Police spokesperson Juan Rebolledo said in a statement that the injuries ranged from minor bullet grazes to critical. Rebolledo said that police aren't yet ready to release the suspect's name and that the investigation continues.

In Washington, D.C., police criminal investigations detectives and agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' Washington Field Division were seeking the public’s assistance in identifying people responsible for setting off explosive devices around the city early Sunday. One device, identified as a "Molotov cocktail style object," was thrown at a Safeway supermarket in Northeast Washington before a person fled.

In Chicago, police reported that 31 people had been shot — three fatally — since 5 p.m. Friday.