IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

A Black man, 23, died in police custody in Colorado. The governor vows state review.

"I am hearing from many Coloradans who have expressed concerns with the investigation of Elijah McClain’s death," Colorado Gov. Jared Polis said in a statement.
Get more newsLiveonNBC News Now

The death of a 23-year-old Black man in police custody in Colorado is under renewed public scrutiny amid nationwide protests against police brutality and systemic racism, and the governor has promised state action in reviewing the case.

Elijah McClain was taken off life support on Aug. 30, six days after he was confronted by police in the Denver suburb of Aurora, as officers answered a call reporting a suspicious person in the area.

Officers applied a chokehold during the confrontation, authorities have said.

"I am hearing from many Coloradans who have expressed concerns with the investigation of Elijah McClain’s death," Gov. Jared Polis said in a statement on Wednesday. As a result, he said he has asked legal counsel "what the state can do and we are assessing next steps."

Also on Wednesday, Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman scheduled a special City Council meeting for July 6 and called for lawmakers to consider an independent probe.

"We need to bring closure to this tragic incident by making sure every aspect of it is thoroughly investigated," Coffman said.

Image: A supporter holds up a shirt to call attention to the death of Elijah McClain in Aug. 2019 in Aurora, Colo
A supporter holds up a shirt to call attention to the death of Elijah McClain in Aug. 2019 in Aurora, Colo., during a news conference on the west steps of the State Capitol after Colorado Governor Jared Polis signed a broad police accountability bill Friday, June 19, 2020, in downtown Denver.David Zalubowski / AP

Mari Newman, a lawyer for McClain's family, said the family is grateful for supporters, but still frustrated no action has been taken against anyone involved in the man's death.

"I think it is clear that there needs to be an independent investigation, which is why I began demanding one last fall," Newman told NBC News on Thursday.

"It’s unfortunate that it takes international media pressure and petitions signed by two million people before the elected officials would do their jobs, and by elected officials I mean the DA and the mayor.”

Aurora police received a call at 10:32 p.m. on Aug. 24 reporting that a “suspicious person” was "walking on Billings Street near East Colfax Avenue, wearing a ski mask and waving his arms at the caller," officials said.

McClain often wore a ski mask when he felt cold, his family said, and it would have been in the mid- to high-60s that night, according to weather records.

"The male would not stop walking down the street from the officer," according to a police statement at the time. "The male resisted contact, a struggle ensued, and he was taken into custody."

At some point, officers called for an ambulance. Authorities later said that McClain "suffered a cardiac arrest and lifesaving measures were initiated."

The coroner for Adams and Broomfield counties found that McClain's death was due to "undetermined causes." But the coroner did not rule out whether the police chokehold - in addition to the sedative ketamine, injected into McClain by paramedics - might have contributed to his death.

"A carotid control hold was applied during the decedent's restraint," according to the report by Dr. Stephen Cina, a forensic pathology consultant. "The records indicate the the decedent was still struggling with officers after this hold was removed. He then coded after receiving a dose of ketamine."

Cina added: "I cannot determine whether a carotid control hold contributed to death via stimulation of the carotid sinus; there were no signs of traumatic asphyxiation."

Adams County prosecutor Dave Young opted not to prosecute the officers involved, saying he could not disprove, with enough evidence to win a conviction, the officers' assertion that they were right to use the level of force they employed.

A petition calling for the officers involved to be taken off duty and for an independent investigation into the case had gained more than 2.9 million signatures by Thursday afternoon.

"Public confidence in our law enforcement process is incredibly important now more than ever," Polis said. "A fair and objective process free from real or perceived bias for investigating officer-involved killings is critical."

A union representative for the three officers involved in the case could not be immediately reached for comment on Thursday.