Brother Accused in Washington Couple's Murder Surrenders

John Reed (left) and Tony Reed (right)
John Reed (left) and Tony Reed (right)Snohomish County Sheriff's Office

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
By Richie Duchon and Rachael Trost

A man suspected of helping his brother murder a Washington state couple last month before escaping to Mexico surrendered to authorities Monday.

Tony Clyde Reed turned himself in to U.S. Marshals Service officers and was booked into a San Diego County jail, the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office in Washington said in a statement.

John Reed (left) and Tony Reed (right)Snohomish County Sheriff's Office

Reed, 49, and his brother John Blaine Reed, 53, were previously charged with first degree murder in the deaths of Oso, Washington, couple Patrick Shunn and Monique Patenaude.

Shunn and Patenaude were reported missing on April 12. Their vehicles were later located in a remote wooded area and included blood, rubber gloves, a tarp and towels, as well as items from the home of one of the suspects.

Charging documents said blood was found in both vehicles, with the "largest concentration of blood... in the cargo, consistent with a body having laid there some amount of time."

Patrick Shunn and his wife, Monique Patenaude.Snohomish County Sheriff's Office

The couple has not yet been located.

The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office also recovered surveillance video "tying the Reed brothers to the disposal of Shunn's and Patenaude's vehicles," according to NBC affiliate KING 5.

The couple reportedly told friends Reed made threats to "shoot" them over a long-standing property dispute.

John Reed had once owned the property adjacent to the couple's 20-acre farm outside Arlington, Washington, but Snohomish County bought it from him after the Oso landslide in 2014, according to charging documents. Patenaude had reported to the country that Reed was squatting on the property.

John Reed remains on the run, officials said.