Breaking News Emails
Charges were dropped Tuesday against a man who had been arrested in a shooting at a New Orleans playground that left 17 people injured, and police said he has been cleared in the case.
Joseph Allen, 32, turned himself in to police last month after he was named as a suspect in the Nov. 22 shooting at the Bunny Friend playground.
Eleven of those who were shot were under the age of 11, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu has said.
Allen was released after a court hearing Tuesday. Allen’s parents told NBC affiliate WDSU he was out of state at the time of the shooting.
"After the arrest, we continued to investigate Allen’s statement about his whereabouts during the shooting which we have now been able to confirm," New Orleans police said in a statement to the station. "As a result, Mr. Allen has been cleared in this investigation."
Three other people named as suspects turned themselves in to police and are in custody, police said. Three more have been named in connection with the shooting and are being sought, police said.
Police have said they believe the shooting was possibly the result of a dispute between two gangs. It took place as hundreds of people showed up at the playground for an impromptu music video shoot, officials have said.