IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Chlorine Gas Release Injures Dozens at Michigan Pool

Authorities brought in a large portable shower to rinse off victims, but 28 people were taken to the hospital for treatment.

A release of chlorine gas at a Michigan pool sent 28 people — 18 guests and 10 lifeguards — to the hospital and caused dozens of others to require care on Friday afternoon, authorities said. The incident came at the Michigan's Adventure water and amusement park near Muskegon, NBC station WOOD of Grand Rapids reported.

A Muskegon County hazmat official told the Muskegon Chronicle that two pool chemicals were mixed, causing a chlorine gas cloud. Authorities brought in a large shower to rinse off people who came into contact with the chlorine. Those taken to the hospital were treated and released, the chief medical officer at Mercy Health Muskegon told WOOD. A spokesperson for the park said that it will be open for normal operation Saturday.



— Gil Aegerter