IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Connecticut high school hockey player dies after on-ice collision

The student who died fell on the ice, and another player was unable to stop and hit him, Greenwich police said.

A Connecticut high school hockey player died after a collision during a game Thursday in Greenwich, officials said.

The student fell on the ice during a game, and another player was unable to stop and collided with the player who had fallen, Greenwich Police Capt. Mark Zuccerella said, according to NBC Connecticut and other local media.

The student died of his injury at a hospital, Zuccerella said.

The New Canaan Police Department identified the student as Teddy Balkind, a sophomore at St. Luke’s School.

"The Town of New Canaan and the St. Luke’s community suffered a tragic loss last night," the department wrote in a Facebook post. "Teddy skated for the New Canaan Winter Club throughout his youth hockey career and was known to all as an all around incredible young man, son and brother."

The incident happened during a game between St. Luke’s and Brunswick School in Greenwich, New Canaan police said.

In a statement on Friday, St. Luke’s Head of School Mark Davis said: “Our community is mourning. Yesterday, we lost a precious young man in a tragic accident. Both St. Luke’s School and Brunswick School are in shock as we work to support our students and families. St. Luke’s singular focus at this moment is to care for our devastated community.”

Brunswick Head of School Thomas W. Philip said “we are devastated” and called it an “an unimaginable tragedy.”

“I have, of course, met with the Head of School at St. Luke’s and have contacted the boy’s family to offer whatever help, support, or assistance we can during such a challenging time,” Philip said in a statement.

He said the school would have no further comment Thursday night out of respect for the family.

“Please keep all concerned in your prayers,” Philip said.