IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Dallas Police on Alert After Threat Against Law Enforcement

Police received an anonymous threat against law enforcement across the city on Saturday.
Image: Dallas police headquarters
Police shut down the street in front of Dallas Police headquarters Saturday, July 9, 2016, as part of heightened security measures after a gunman launched an attack at a Thursday night rally that left several officers dead.Nomaan Merchant / AP

The Dallas Police Department stepped up security Saturday after an anonymous threat was made against law enforcement officers in the city, the department said.

Officers with body armor and long guns were seen outside Dallas police headquarters at around 5 p.m. local time (6 p.m. ET). Police did not disclose the nature of the threat or how it was made.

The police department said it was searching for a suspicious person in a parking garage used by police. An initial search found no suspect, but a police dog did a secondary search to make sure, the department said. By shortly before 8 p.m., the search ended and no suspicious person or items were found, police said.

The SWAT team set off a device in order to get through a locked fence, and the department stressed no shots were fired.

The threat was made two days after a lone gunman opened fire on police at a protest rally, killing five officers, in an attack that targeted law enforcement. Seven other officers and two civilians were wounded.

The gunman, Micah Johnson, an Army veteran, was killed by a bomb delivered by police during a standoff with officers after the ambush.

The protest rally was held following recent fatal police shootings of black men in Louisiana and Minnesota.

Johnson told police negotiators he was upset at white people and wanted to kill white police officers, Dallas Police Chief David Brown said. Police believe he was the lone gunman.

People have left a memorial of flowers, balloons and signs on a police car outside the Dallas Police Department in a show of support for police officers following the deadly attack.