Dentist accused of setting fire in 5-year-old's mouth

The girl's parents say she was burned and hospitalized after a tool sparked a fire while her teeth were being smoothed.

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
SUBSCRIBE
By Associated Press

LAS VEGAS — The parents of a 5-year-old girl say a Las Vegas dentist set their daughter’s mouth on fire as she underwent a routine dental procedure.

The parents last week filed a lawsuit in state district court against Deep Karan Dhillon for injuries the girl suffered. The Las Vegas Review-Journal was first to report the suit.

According to court documents, Dhillon used a tool known as a diamond bur to smooth the girl’s teeth while she was under anesthetics. But the lawsuit says the procedure emitted a spark that “caused the throat pack in (the girl’s) mouth to ignite and produce a fire” that lasted one or two seconds.

The lawsuit says the girl was rushed to University Medical Center, where she was hospitalized for four days with burns to her palate and lower lip.

The complaint alleges that the girl suffered burns to her epiglottis, throat, tongue, mouth, lips “and other surrounding areas,” according to the complaint. Some of the injuries “may be permanent and disabling,” it said.

The family is seeking more than $15,000 in damages.

Dhillon, who is named in the suit as the owner of Just For Kids, said Friday that he was not aware of the lawsuit and declined to comment.