Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
 / Updated 

The police chief of Garland, Texas, said Monday that his department had no warning that either of two gunmen planned to attack the “Draw Muhammad” cartoon contest last week.

“No information was missed or ignored,” Chief Mitch Bates told reporters.

The gunmen shot a school security guard in the leg before they were shot and killed by police.

FBI Director James Comey revealed last week that the bureau sent local authorities a bulletin that included a photo of one of the gunmen, Elton Simpson, three hours before the attack on May 3. But Comey said the FBI had no reason to believe that Simpson planned to attack the event.

The bulletin was sent to the local Joint Terrorism Task Force, which includes one detective from the Garland police, Bates said. He described it as a “general information bulletin” and said the detective was not aware of it until after the attack.

He stressed that the police would not have changed their response even if they had known about the memo.

“We had no information from the FBI or from anyone else that Elton Simpson posed a threat to our event,” he said.

At least five officers opened fire on the two gunmen, Bates said. He said their names were not being released “due to direct and indirect threats for their safety and the safety of their families.”

IN-DEPTH

— Erin McClam with The Associated Press