IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Engaged Doctors Found Brutally Slain in Boston Penthouse Apartment

Two engaged doctors were found slain — reportedly with their throats slit — in their penthouse apartment in Boston, officials said Sunday.
Dr. Lina Bolanos (R), Dr. Richard Field (L)
Dr. Lina Bolanos (R), Dr. Richard Field (L)NBC News

Two engaged doctors were found brutally slain — reportedly with their throats slit — in their penthouse apartment in Boston, officials said Sunday.

The Boston Police Department said they were responding to a call of a suspect with a gun at a luxury condominium in South Boston on Friday night when a man "immediately began firing at the officers."

The officers shot back, injuring the suspect, who was placed in custody after the violent struggle and taken to a hospital for non-life threatening injuries, police said. None of the officers were injured.

That’s when police discovered Dr. Lina Bolaños and her fiance Dr. Richard Field, who were pronounced dead at the scene from "traumatic injuries."

Field, 49, and Bolaños, 38, were both anesthesiologists.

The suspect was identified as 30-year-old Bampumim Teixeira, who was recently released from prison after serving less than a year on a larceny conviction, Jake Wark, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley, told NBC News on Sunday.

The doctors were found with their throats cut in their 11th floor penthouse apartment, two officials with knowledge of the investigation told the Boston Globe.

The victims were bound by their hands and there was blood on the walls of the apartment, the officials told the Globe — with one official saying the suspect had written a "message of retribution" on a wall.

Field sent one last text message to a friend, pleading for help, before he was killed, the officials told the newspaper.

“It’s very troubling,” Boston Police Commissioner William Evans told the Boston Globe on Saturday. “These are two well-respected people killed in their penthouse apartment.”

Boston police declined to comment on Sunday about the details of the bloody scene, but said the killings “did not appear to be random.”

Officials told the Boston Globe that Teixeira and the doctors were "known to each other,' but did not say how.

North Shore Pain Management, where Field worked as a doctor, released a statement saying he was known for his “tireless devotion.”

Related: Double-Homicide Victims ID'd as Boston-Area Doctors

“Dr. Field was a guiding vision at North Shore Pain Management and was instrumental in the creation of this practice, in 2010,” the company said in the statement, later adding that he “was noted for his tireless devotion to his patients, staff and colleagues.”

Dr. Lina Bolanos (R), Dr. Richard Field (L)
Dr. Lina Bolanos (R), Dr. Richard Field (L)NBC News

Prior to working at North Shore Pain Management, Field was an anesthesiologist and pain management specialist at Beverly Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Massachusetts.

Bolaños, who worked at Massachusetts Eye and Ear hospital, was described as “an outstanding pediatric anesthesiologist.

“The entire Mass. Eye and Ear community is deeply saddened by the deaths of Dr. Lina Bolaños and her fiancé,” they said in a statement. “Dr. Bolanos was an outstanding pediatric anesthesiologist and a wonderful colleague in the prime of both her career and life.”

Wark told NBC News that the motive of the killing was still under investigation and that prosecutors were hoping to have Teixeira, of Chelsea, Massachusetts, arraigned in court on Monday.

“From what I gather, he’s still in the hospital, so that may be delayed. It remains to be seen,” he said.

Charges against Teixeira were still being finalized, he said.

Teixeira served nine months of about a one-year sentence for two counts of larceny, Wark said. One charge involved passing a note demanding money at a bank in June 2016, and the other involved a verbal demand at the same bank two years earlier, he said.

Teixeira pleaded guilty to both counts in September of 2016, according to a statement from the district attorney’s office, and was sentenced to 364 days in a house of correction with nine months to serve and the rest suspended for a three-year probationary period.