IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Family Eats LSD-Tainted Meat, Goes Home With a New Brother

<p>Mom has a healthy son as she and her family are treated at a Tampa hospital in what police say was an isolated incident.</p>

Local, state and federal investigators were all trying to figure out Friday how LSD got into a Walmart steak that sent a nine-months-pregnant Florida woman, her boyfriend and her two daughters to the hospital.

All four were doing fine after the incident Monday night. Make that five — while being treated at the hospital, Jessica Rosado gave birth to a healthy baby boy.

Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor said at a news conference Friday there was no indication that Rosado, 31, her boyfriend, Ronnie Morales, 24, or her daughters — Elyana Serrano, 7, and Rayna Serrano, who celebrated her sixth birthday Friday — had any idea that the bottom round steak they ate Monday night was contaminated with the hallucinogen.

According to a Tampa police report, Morales started feeling ill and called 911, but as he got sicker, Rosado decided to take him to St. Joseph's Hospital.

Once at St. John's, Rosado also started feeling ill. Then her daughters started hallucinating.

Morales and the girls were released Wednesday in good condition. Rosado went home Thursday with a healthy new son.

Police retrieved what remained of the steak and yanked the oven out of the family's home for forensic tests — which the Hillsborough County medical examiner said Friday showed the presence of LSD.

The steak was traced to a Tampa Walmart, which turned over all of its meat of that type for testing.

Police praised Walmart for its cooperation and said that "at this point, it appears this is an isolated incident."

Dianna Gee, a spokeswoman for Walmart, said it wasn't clear where or how the meat was tampered with or whether it was contaminated before or after it was bought. She confirmed that the company had "pulled the remaining product from the store."

The company is "deeply disturbed about this situation" and is "committed to working with officials to get to the bottom of this," Gee said.

So far, a review of store security video hasn't found anything suspicious, she said.

— M. Alex Johnson