IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Fired Georgia Deputy Gets Month in Jail in Death of Prisoner

Two fired deputies and a nurse had been earlier acquitted of manslaughter in the death of a man who died after being restrained and shocked.
Get more newsLiveon

A Georgia ex-deputy was sentenced Friday to the equivalent of a month in jail and another former deputy and nurse got probation in the death of a mentally ill man who died after being shocked with a stun gun while restrained and then left unattended.

Jason Kenny, who used the stun gun on Mathew Ajibade and was convicted of cruelty to a prisoner, will be allowed to serve the month in jail on weekends, NBC affiliate WSAV reported.

Maxine Evans was found guilty of falsifying records and perjury, was sentenced to six years of probation, and nurse Gregory Brown was sentenced to three years in prison for lying to investigators about checking in on Ajibade, the station reported.

Ajibade, 22, was found dead in an isolation cell at the Chatham County Detention Center in January, after he was arrested for allegedly striking his girlfriend during a bipolar episode and was later placed in a controversial restraint chair after fighting with deputies.

Chris Oladapo, Ajibade’s cousin, did not attend Friday’s sentencing in protest of what he called a "stillborn prosecution."

"There were more than a dozen people fired because they contributed to Mathew’s death. Only three were charged with crimes,” he said in a statement to be read at the sentencing.

"Jason Kenny is only one of the people who contributed to Mathew’s death. He is the most profane contributor, but he was just one of many," Oladapo said in the statement.

RELATED: Ex-Cops Acquitted of Top Charge in Tased Man's Death

Nine Chatham County deputies were fired after Ajibade’s death, but Kenny, Evans and Brown were the only ones charged. The administrator of the jail retired amid plans for an outside review of procedures.

Kenny, Evans and Brown had been charged with manslaughter. Kenny and Evans were acquitted of that charge by a jury, and a judge acquitted Brown after an investigator admitted he had been indicted based on incorrect information about jailhouse policies.

Ajibade was arrested New Year’s Day, and he was placed in the controversial chair and shocked while restrained.

Officers also placed a spit mask over his mouth. He was found dead in the chair, still wearing the spit mask, in the early morning hours of Jan. 2.