Funeral Set For 6-Year-Old Boy Killed in Shooting Involving Louisiana Marshals

Shocked Louisiana Community Pays Respects to Boy Shot by Police 2:42

A 6-year-old boy fatally shot during in a troubling encounter with city marshals in Louisiana this week was remembered as a "happy kid" as his family prepares for the funeral Monday.

Jeremy Mardis will be buried in Mississippi Monday following a 1:30 p.m. service in Hattiesburg, according to his grandmother and the funeral home.

The boy was killed after city marshals fired into a vehicle driven by his father in Marskville Tuesday, officials said, and two of those marshals have been arrested on charges of second-degree murder.

Miranda Sigler, who babysat Jeremy for more than four years, remembered the boy as "a very outgoing kid, always had a smile on his face."

RELATED: Two Officers Charged With Murder in Shooting of 6-Year-Old

911 Calls Under Scrutiny After Police Shoot 6-Year-Old Boy 2:44

"Your heart burns, you don't know how to feel," Sigler told NBC News by telephone Saturday. “I'm mad,” she said.

Jeremy was shot five times and was struck in the head and chest, the coroner said. His father, Chris Few, was also wounded in the shooting, which occurred at around 9:30 p.m. after what officials described as the end of a pursuit. Few remained in serious condition Saturday.

Two law enforcement officers who were working part-time jobs as Marksville city marshals were arrested and charged Friday.

Marksville police Lt. Derrick Stafford, 32, and Norris Greenhouse Jr., 23, a full-time marshal for the nearby city of Alexandria, face charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder.

State police said there was no exchange of gunfire and no gun was found in Few’s sport-utility vehicle, but details of exactly what occurred before the shooting have not been released.

NOV. 6: Two Louisiana Cops Arrested in Death of 6-Year-Old Boy 2:20

Two others may have been involved. State police said the investigation is ongoing.

Marksville and Ward 2 Marshal Floyd Voinche Sr. in a statement Saturday called the shooting a "tragic incident" and said he is cooperating fully with investigators.

Stafford and Greenhouse remained jailed at the Avoyelles Parish Jail Saturday, according to jail records.